Hydrotherapy can be used in the treatment of orthopaedic conditions, neurological conditions, muscle, ligament and other soft tissue injuries. It can also help with general convalescence and fitness.
Muscle wastage often occurs with any lameness however, long term lameness from orthopaedic conditions can result in severe wastage of the muscle as the body barely uses the limb.
Swimming is ideal for rebuilding the muscle both prior to operation and after the stitches have been removed and the skin has healed.
Walking is often painful and too strenuous for the dog, and so the non-weight bearing exercise in warm water is ideal to gradually rebuild the muscle and reduce the pain in order to improve the recovery after surgery.
Dogs recovering from orthopaedic surgery, spinal injuries, hip and elbow dysplasia, ligament strains and sprains, spaying, caesarean section and many other ailments, as well as after whelping to tighten the muscles back up – all find swimming to be a gentle way to rebuild their fitness.
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
- Relief from pain, swelling and stiffness
- Increased sensory perception
- Relaxes muscle tension and muscle spams
- Less concussions on the joints
- Pre & Post operative conditioning
- Slows the progression of degenerative diseases
- Increases core stability
- Increases range of motion
- Increase and maintains muscle strength
- Reduces oedma
- Decreases inflammation
- Improves cardiovascular fitness
- Improves mobility
- mental well being (releases endorphins)
- overall general fitness & conditioning
- Improves quality of life
Conditions that benefit from hydrotherapy
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Luxating Patella
- Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)
- Spinal injuries
- Cruciate Ligament injuries
- Growing pains
- Pre/Post operative muscle maintance
- Relief of pain, arthritis, swelling & stiffness
- Obesity &weight management
- Great for general fitness & conditioning for all dogs